Administering Ear Drops To Your Dog
Remember that the ear may be very painful and that even a passive dog may respond by biting. You may need to muzzle the dog for this procedure.
- Click on the “video” button to watch a demonstration or read the steps that follow.
- Warm the medication by standing the bottle in a bowl of warm water for a few minutes.
- Make sure you have carefully read the label and understand the dosing instructions.
- Draw up the liquid into the dropper.
- Gently pull the ear flap straight up using your other hand.
- Apply the prescribed number of drops into the ear canal while continuing to keep the ear flap elevated.
- Rub the ear against the dog’s head in a circular motion. Be cautious and gentle. The dog may not allow you to do this.
- Release the ear and let your dog shake its head. If the medication contains a wax solvent, debris will be dissolved so it can be shaken out.
- Make sure you give your dog plenty of praise throughout the procedure and offer a treat after giving the medication.
Animal Hospital of Seminole
11375 Park Boulevard Seminole, FL 33772
Monday: 8:00am – 5:30pm, Tuesday: 8:00am – 7:00pm, Wednesday: 8:00am – 5:30pm, Thursday: 8:00am – 7:00pm, Friday: 8:00am – 5:30pm
Saturday 8:00am – 12:00pm, Sunday: Closed