Giving Liquid Medication to Your Cat
The easiest way to give your cat liquid medication is to mix it in with some canned food. To ensure that the medication is actually taken, it is best to give a small amount of food that the cat is certain to eat rather than a large portion that the cat may not complete. Some cats may be unwilling to eat the food or may have dietary restrictions that prevent you from using this technique. If this is the case, you will need to administer the medication directly into the cat’s mouth.
- Prepare the environment so that you have a safe place to handle your cat. Have the medication ready and in a place where it will be easily accessible. If you are administering the medication on your own, you may find it easiest to place your cat in your lap. You may need to have someone assist you in restraining your cat by wrapping it in a blanket with only the head exposed.
- Make sure you have carefully read the label and understand the dosing instructions.
- Hold the syringe with your dominant hand.
- Draw up the prescribed amount of liquid into the syringe.
- First, try to allow the cat to lick the medication from the end of the syringe as you slowly depress the plunger. The cat may accept the medication more readily if it is warmed to room temperature.
If this is ineffective, gently take the cat by the scruff of the neck and lift the front paws off of your lap. The mouth will open slightly.
- Place the tip of the syringe in the side of the mouth, just behind one of the canine teeth.
- Advance the syringe so it is placed in the mouth just past the tooth line.
- Slowly squeeze the syringe to dispense the liquid medication. Make sure you do this slowly so the cat has time to swallow the liquid and breath.
- Most cats will spit out some of the medication. DO NOT re-medicate unless you are certain that NONE of the medication was taken.
- Rinse the syringe thoroughly with water and refrigerate the medication if necessary.
Animal Hospital of Seminole
11375 Park Boulevard Seminole, FL 33772
Monday: 8:00am – 5:30pm, Tuesday: 8:00am – 7:00pm, Wednesday: 8:00am – 5:30pm, Thursday: 8:00am – 7:00pm, Friday: 8:00am – 5:30pm
Saturday 8:00am – 12:00pm, Sunday: Closed